I read this article by Rajeev Srinivasan on Rediff - A whiff of the Manchurian Candidate.
Rajeev suggests a few names for the President of India. Here is my serious recommendation:
Rajini Kant - And here are the reasons.
1. Hardworking: Against all odds, he worked his way through to be the highest paid actor. (What's wrong in being an actor?) Even at the age of 57, he works to make money for the people who invested in him.
2. Integrity: The man is known for speaking his mind. Read his interview with Balakumaran some 30 years ago. He doesn't try to be some who he is not.
3. Simplicity: Ask anyone who has met him.
4. Hindu Values: Not the Bajrang Dal kind of Hindu values, but the ones like his respect for the land, values and beliefs.
5. Wealth: He is rich. Another reason in addition to the above for communists to hate him. That's also a qualification as per Rajeev.
6. Intellect: He knows at least 5 Indian languages.
7. A symbol of national integration: - a Maratha born in Karnataka, successful in Tamil Nadu and known all over the country - well almost.
As an update, I doubt if Rajini is good enough to be a leader based on two instances:
1. Made a provocative speech when the Kodambakkam group staged a one-day fast for Hogenakkal water project. (I heard Kamal and Vijayakant made sensible balanced speech. )
2. After making such a speech, in spite of protests in Karnataka, he didn't apologize immediately, but chose to do it only when there were hurdles to the release of Kuselan in Karnataka. After all, collection is more important than conscience.