What does lineage stand for?

Question: Beyond inheritance (including legal aspects), social & cultural identity, DNA (biological clarity), succession, and continuity what lineage stands for?

Answer: Let me try to explain with personal experience and insight.  Your mileage may vary.

I perform 'Tharpanam' on Amavasya and other prescribed days.  While performing it, I try to recollect the ancestor's face, whom I have seen or have seen their pictures.  It is considered such rituals are performed to please the ancestors.  I do not attach much importance to that perspective.  I perform them because I want to.  I realized that they are for my own benefit.  How?  Here it goes.

On performing the rituals over a few years, I get to remember the qualities of my ancestors.  Either I am lucky that I could see only their good qualities, or I do not have any memory of their bad qualities.  I also noticed that the qualities I see in them are also present in me at some point in time.  For example, if one of my ancestors was a happy-go-lucky man, I was one too.

My qualities are a combination of some of the qualities of my ancestors.  The combination may be unique, but individual qualities are not.  I could see my existence as a node in a tree. (Don't go into the Graph Theory definition of tree.)  The tree has a root, that must have been the divine itself or the purest form of creation.

On one end of the tree, it is me and the other end is the divine.  

Just as I inherited some qualities of my ancestors, I must have inherited some qualities of the divine as well! 

To me, that's the lineage.  It is for everyone to discover.

Comments

SHANKAR said…
Wow, crisp ,short, sweet and profound
othisaivu said…
MMMV - but a good & crisp write-up nonetheless. (am reminded of that ashvattha tree def in katopanishad...)
Devarajan S said…
I applaud your in depth perception on this subject. All the phenomenon of our lives are the manifestation of the Mystic Law which is governing the entire universe. The rise of the tides and merging again with the Ocean are synonyms with the manifestation of our lives and again merging with the universe. In that aspect, inheritance of ancestors devine power is absolutely possible.

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Questions

Is there a thing that doesn't exist?

தேங்கிவிட்ட தமிழ் - உவமைகளும் நகரவாசிகளும்