Friday, October 13, 2006

A farce called "Local Body Elections" in Tamil Nadu

The election started peacefully. All rich people of my locality decided to stay in-doors. I fished out the identity cards from a pile of junk in my book-shelf. Armed with the power of identity cards, my wife and I went to the polling booth. No video coverage for our visit to the booth as we are not celebrities yet and we had no intention of creating news there.

There were some 10 people in front of us, none of them seem to be from our area. They obviously are impersonating someone in our area. The agents of the candidates were sitting in a corner of the room, obviously aware of the impersonations happening on each party's behalf. The staff manning booth didn't ask for identity cards for any of the impersonators. My wife and I questioned the officers on why they allowed those with no identity cards. We didn't get a reply. They probably were too scared to ask for them.

When coming out of the polling station, a lady from our area was complaining about the presence of unruly elements in the area. Another helpless responsible citizen, I thought. The two policemen outside the station were mere watchers. One of them had a very big mustache to hide his fear. He might be more scared of the roaming rowdies than of the complaining citizens like us.

Long live our democracy.

No comments:

Earlier Posts